This Month We're Donating To: Defy Ventures
Every month, Kurly Klips is aiming to donate to organizations that help the Black community. This month, we're donating to Defy Ventures and entrepreneurship program that helps incarcerated men, women, and children start legal businesses upon release.
Tell me more about Defy!
According to the ACLU, the US incarcerates 25% of the world’s population, even though as a country, we’re only 5% of the world’s population. Not only that, but while whites and blacks use drugs at the same rate, blacks are incarcerated 10 times more than whites for drug offenses.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how mass incarceration devastates our community. This month, we’re proud to give a portion of our hair money to an organization that helps our mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers make better lives for themselves upon release.
Our donation helps Defy:
Your donation helps Defy:
- Reduce recidivism: Defy's recidivism rate is less the 5%. Nationally, 76.6% of people are rearrested within five years of release from prison.
- Prepare incarcerated EITs for reentry: Defy's in-prison program has served 3,000+ EITs across 28 correctional facilities in California, Nebraska, New Jersey, and New York.
- Equip formerly incarcerated EITs to gain employment and start businesses: Defy's post-release program has served 670+ EITs across 27 states, achieving a 95% employment rate and financing/incubating 170+ EIT-founded startups that created 370+ jobs.
- Transform the lives of business leaders: Defy has engaged 4,400+ executive volunteers who have contributed 25,000+ hours to coaching and mentoring EITs.
- Expand our impact: Defy is launching in Colorado and Connecticut in 2017 and has 10+ other states actively pursuing Defy for future expansion.
To learn more about this incredible non-profit, check out its website and the interview Founder Catherine Hoke did on the @timferriss podcast. So dope.
And please continue to shop with Kurly Klips. We can only donate when we receive orders! So if you like your hair money going to great causes that help our community, tell your friends and shop with us! It’s our honor to serve you in this way.
Your sister in beauty,